Monday, November 16, 2009

Being pregnant...

Mine was a textbook pregnancy. Everything was perfect. I felt good, I looked good, everything was according to schedule. I gained a bit more weight than I should have, but the doctor said I was too skinny to start with...We didn't know if it was a boy or a girl, and we said we didn't care....as long as it was healthy. Isn't that what they always say??

My doctor was the same doctor that I had been going to since I'd lived in that town...well, it was only a couple years at that time. He ended up being my doctor for over 20 years though. He and his wife were also expecting at the same time as I was, which made it even more fun!

The only thing that made me sick while I was pregnant was the smell of coffee...which is strange, because I was a coffee drinker. But, it was not problem..I just didn't drink it while I was pregnant. Wasn't supposed to anyway...I really enjoyed being pregnant, thought, because it felt good. I felt special, people treated you differently - like you were going to break or something. It felt good to be nurturing and feeling a person growing inside of me.

We both were excited, in spite of the fact that we didn't have much money. I started sewing and knitting...making things for the baby. My parents were excited too, cause it was their first grandchild. Even though I don't think they liked Jack, they liked the fact that I was going to give birth to their first grandchild.

All was going well...till about my eighth month. That was when we received an eviction notice from our landlord. We were three months behind in our rent and we had three days to get out. I didn't know what to do...but Jack somehow got an old couple in our church to let us move into one of their rental houses, with the promise that we would pay them. (We were going to a Baptist church at the time..) So it took a day or so for all the friends we had to help us move, and they didn't let me do a thing! It was nice!

The house we moved into was much smaller, but we made do. It had two bedrooms, but all the rooms were really small. At that time, his oldest daughter was not living with us, but his son was.THAT was not a good time. I remember having lots of arguments with him, lots of yelling and Jack having words with him. The boy got into some trouble during that summer. He thought he knew better than anyone. He yelled at me a few times, and I was glad that Jack stood up for me during that time.

We stayed in it for awhile. That was where we lived when my daughter was born in August of 1984, and it was just like Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your baby of 1984, I enjoyed the previous post of the Oil Companies and the trucking jobs, the meat packing in the cold, the helping of the sperm count, all good stuff. Your daughter would be 25 this year. Mine just graduated college in May, and the bills are beginning to arrive on the loans she took out to finish school. It's not pretty. Please continue, I'm interested in the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tusk,

    Yep, my daughter is 25 this year. I went back to Kansas to see her over Thanksgiving, and had a good time. Also saw my stepdaughters and all their kids. It was fun....

    I have dragged my feet on the next post but finally got it written. I will try to be more diligent about that....It is VERY nice to see your comments!!!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete