Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My year at Herringswell

I was enrolled in Herringswell Manor school in England...at Bury St. Edmunds...a boarding school, because my family had moved to Oslo, Norway. I hated being separated from them at such a young age, but it had to be....so I tried to be grown-up about it. It was close to Newmarket and Cambridge, England, and was way out in the country.

They put me in a small dorm room with another girl, Janet. I guess the head mistress thought that would be good for both of us. We were both spending our first years there...and she probably thought we'd be good for each other. We weren't up there with all the other seniors, but we were still seniors, and had the few privileges that the senior girls had, like tv, and off-limits to the younger girls.

I believe the school was only 8th grade on up to 12th, so there weren't very many kids there.

Janet and I eventually moved in with the other senior girls, in one of the two big rooms for the senior girls. There were five beds in one room and four in the other. They were on either side of the headmistress and head teachers quarters. We had one big bathroom to share, with toilets, showers and sinks. We had to go downstairs to the dining room to eat meals, and breakfast was pretty early. Mornings were crazy, with all of us girls getting dressed, brushing teeth, taking showers, and all the stuff you do before breakfast. We were able to come back up to our rooms after breakfast to grab our school stuff and head out.

This was where I learned to like coffee. I had to doctor it up with lots of cream and sugar, but it was good. I'm not sure why I drank it....All of the high school kids ate in one room. It was probably the whole school, but I'm not sure. It was served family style, where we all sat at assigned tables, and were served the food in big bowls. I found out that the servers, and maybe the cooks, couldn't read. That must have been difficult. "Dunno, do I?" was one of the sayings that we repeated when one of the ruddy-cheeked servers was asked a question.

I got to know all of the senior girls. We would often sit around and talk, exchange stories about our lives, talk about the boys in the school, or some of the younger girls. We would also exchange dresses, too, since we had to wear dresses, and we got tired of the same ones all the time, we thought it would be more interesting to wear each other's clothes. It became a confusing, running joke for the boys. "Whose dress is that?" they would ask? We must have been all about the same size. I also remember wrapping my hair that year. That was a technique that we learned to straighten our hair...even if it had a wave in it. I would roll the top part on a couple of huge rollers - the bigger the better - and then wrap the rest of my hair around my head, securing it with large bobby pins. Looked wierd, but it worked!! Long, straight hair!!

I took piano lessons from an English woman who came to the school once a week or once a month. I practiced and took the lessons in the billiard room of the old manor house that was the school. It just happened to be the room that had a piano in it. I learned a lot from the woman there, and I really enjoyed continuing my lessons at Herringswell.

The school itself - It was in an old English manor home....huge building!! And so beautiful! As far as I could tell, everything was pretty much as it had been when it was a home, but it was now converted into dorms, offices, and dining room. But the staircase was still there...the woodwork was beautiful...you could see some of the elegant things that only an old home like that would have. I'm sure there were servants quarters, or nanny's rooms, and the front of the house was the main part, with the sun room, the morning room, or whatever they were called. The windows were spectacular, giving out a great view of the lawn where we played field hockey and soccer. We were not allowed to go into the woods, but I spent many hours wandering around out there....on the edge of the woods.

I loved England...it was full of history. Sometimes, when we would go to a town on the weekend, friends and I would explore the town, maybe get a brass rubbing, check out the tea places, or look at the shops. Everything was so old and quaint, and I loved the people. They were always very polite, and they tried to accommodate us! The countryside was gorgeous as well, and there was lots of the thatch-roofed cottages that you see only in photos, dotting the landscape. It was easy to imagine Shakespeare, or the Artful Dodger in any of the scenes I saw!!!

The teachers - There was Miss Petrie, who was the head teacher. Prim, proper, Scottish lady. She also taught the senior English, which was mostly vocabulary words and some reading. Miss McFadyen, the headmistress, and lived with Miss Petrie. I think they might have been gay...but I do know they took an alcoholic nip each night. We could smell it on them sometimes. I guess that's what the British did when they wanted to relax. There was also Miss xxxx, who was the French teacher. She was really nice, a bit harsh, but still had a good heart. We girls really liked her. She had come from Belgium, or somewhere like that, spoke really good English, but was still fluent in several other languages. Miss xxxx who was American, and taught math, I think, to the lower grades. I don't think she was ever my teacher, but she would come up to the senior girls room and visit with us. Mr. xxxx was the Social Studies teacher. He was American, had kind or long hair, and was a bit weird, but ok. I fancied myself in love with him. There was also the PE teacher. He was English. I will never forget the times we were playing field hockey and he said "Hard luck. Play on!" when we would fall, or get hurt. It was his Volkswagen bug that the senior boys picked up and moved out into the field at the end of our senior year, as a prank.

I DID learn how to study there. We had a study hall every night after supper for an hour, and everyone was required to go. It was even segregated, so we didn't get to see the boys until the next day. They were real sticklers about the sexes not touching each other. I know it didn't stop some couples - they went into the woods and did their thing anyway!!

Every once in a while we would have a dance, or get to go somewhere on the bus to another town....but mostly we stayed there at the school. The kids whose parents lived in London, or somewhere close, could go home every weekend, but there were also those of us whose parents lived in another country. Some of the girls' parents lived in Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and other places far away. I think maybe Norway was one of the closest, actually!!

When it came time to graduate, there were 23 of us. The speech that was given by Miss McFadyen was quite disparaging for our class, I remember. She talked about how apathetic we were, and how she couldn't remember a class that was less motivated to do anything. I thought it was not very nice to say those things at graduation, when all our parents and grandparents were there!

My parents were there, and so were Gma and Gpa. They came all the way over from Ohio...not just to see me, but to travel around Europe, too. It was great that they were there...and I know they liked it. I'm sure Chuck was there too, but I doubt that Jim was. The diploma we got was a beautiful one done with calligraphy. I still have it.

It was a good year. I learned a lot. I am grateful for the experience, and I will never forget it. But, I am also glad that I was only there one year. There were things that were not so fun...and I remember being quite lonely and homesick at times. When it was time to pack up and go, I got all my stuff in a trunk, and a suitcase. I was going to college back in the states...in Kansas!!

67 comments:

  1. I loved this story, and I read your other blog as well, word for word. This One I skimmed through from paragraph to paragraph. It was still very enjoyable. So sad that of the 23 Girls The house Mum or Mistress or Headmaster McFayden felt you were all good for nothins. Oslo, Norway seems so rich in history. Did you read the History Of Burnt Njal? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the History of Burnt Njal. What is it about? I'm always looking for new and interesting books to read.

    Thanks for the nice words about my blog..I'm glad you enjoyed it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burnt Njal is the History of how something called The Thing became what is known today as common Law and how a man named Njal .... Well I'd ruin the story if I told more. Nordic written as if Frank Frazetta animated the whole story. Beyond your wildest dreams of truth and song and gore, my god there is a bloody death on every page. But the celebration of Life is so strong as the Nordic people were so dominately physically and mentally strong, you can easily see how in some ways the Nordic woman are mistakenly taken as the most beautiful in the world. Then again there is always the Iceland fisherman by Pierre Loti, a first Novel in a pen name that won him world reknown. If I find a copy of Burnt Njal, I'll send it to you, it's a must read. I gave my only hard copy away. I do keep things electronic, although.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good..I'll look for it. I haven't read anything about the Nordic people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne,
    In your story you dont say when you were at HMS. I too spent some time there and I remember Ms Petrie and who could forget Ms McFadyen..you know she took over the boys dorm for a while to restore law and order.
    Yes I wet to Cambridge on weekends too, mostly to shop and get into trouble.

    The XXX teacher you are thinking about was Bomhauf(sp)I think but there was another one that whas very quiet and nice.

    I live in Colorado and found Les Chathem last year living in Colorado

    Good times..and I do remember all the girls there, my folks almost put me into an all boys English Boarding school and I was going to run away but then we found HMS.
    Fred Lake
    Weston Colorado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fred -- it's been a long time!

      Kathy Ryland
      kathy.ryland@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Cool. I was there.
    You had to live with Miss Mac & Miss Petrie.
    I was one of the guys.
    Col. Butt was our dorm master...
    You know how I like to smoke...
    Up the _____

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do remember Miss Payne the French teacher and Mr. Bob Bennett. Les Chathem and the Wakefield twins. Halloween was so much fun while we honored Guy Faulk's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. does anyone remember the mini that was suspended
    between two spires at unversity in cambridge? It really created quite a stir in the town. i remember taking col.butts mini and turning it sideways in that old garage they used out back. really ticked him off.or rollint the bowling ball down the dorm hallway one night and it hitting his door. we all could hear it roll as it passed all of our rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a day...

    when Miss Mac & Miss Petrie decided that the guys in B Block (?) dorm were to be punished for something. (Can't remember what)

    But the punishment was cleaning up all of the liquor bottles that had been thrown over "THE WALL" behind the dorm. It took hours. We filled lots of big garbage pails with liquor and beer bottles. Not enough to fill the swimming pool beside the dorm... that was never swimming pool...
    But just about...

    BC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was there in the early 70's and remember all this stuff. Col Butt and his mini in the carport sideways (he was such a pompous jerk that he invited these pranks). Miss Payne, Miss Yisowich (very hot and rumored to be having an affair with the schools owner), Petrie and McFadden, Bennett and the eccentric guy who wore the professor's gown all the time (can't remember his name but he was one of the more popular teachers, mostly because he didn't mess with people). I was roomates with Norman Jewison's sons Kevin and Michael along with 2 others in the stable block. I think it was 70-72 but not sure. Left before I graduated to finish high school in London as I couldn't stand the place, but it was beautiful country and a few good memories.

    Jeanne, where you there the year the seniors had a sit-in in the senior lounge? I was there that year and it set McFadden on the war path that year. That may have been why she was so bitter at the graduation. Half the school was taking part (including myself) but only the seniors were blamed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I went to Herringswell for 3 or 4 months in either 1968 or 1969. I remember Mr. Brignola. His initials were "j""a""B" and he would jab his finger in my face as he lectured me. I was always on punishment duty. I remember there was a Debbie (from Texas, a Lorie and an Adair in my dorm room.Kimberlee Osburn kimo5270@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm Pete Roberts I was there in 1970 I rember JAB. I Was school president too I rember Deb her name was Deb Mc Guven I lived in Great Yarmouth at the time

      Delete
  12. I was a student at Herringswell circa 1971. Bob Bennet was a pedophile. Interested in others who remember that. I think that is why the school failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Bennet went both ways, he had a thing for a lady who had german shepherds, but he was a molester as well. I was there 1967-1969. Overall good memories. Planing a trip ver the pond in a few weeks and if the property is accessibe, would like to go over there. anyone recall all the patties of butter on the ceiling of the dining hall.. glass plates and roasted potatoes. Creating flying lights with garment bags and candles that pissed off the local air force.. Definately remember McFadden and petrie, the professor who taught latin and drove a bently 9 very Harry Potter ) the other teacher who always wore tweed and said " Oh Ferrets " etc etc

      Delete
  13. I was the one who exposed it at the time. If you were there you might remember who I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Bennett - taught us judo, didn't he? Never had any problems, but maybe he didn't like girls........no idea. Of course, at that age I know I was clueless. What a great time though. 70 to 71.

      Delete
    2. I knew Bob Bennett liked young boys ...

      Delete
  14. To Clarify, at the time when I realized that Bob Bennett was pedofile, I informed my father and about everyone else who would listen at the time. 2 years later the school is toast and still didn't adress the problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's still a cool school though and I respect all the great memories, But there was a dark side and lets not forget that too soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was a cool school before the pedophiles messed it up anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who was that blonde blue belt that Skip Macracken kissed up to? He was a nice guy, not wierd at all and most likely to succeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to be Dusty Roberts - he's living in Boston now and still a really nice guy. Kind of the sandy blonde surfer look?

      Delete
    2. eric anderson

      Delete
  18. i can't remember his name but he was the blonde soccer hero at the time and had the highest martial arts belt. Very nice person. Shared a room with Skippie, the resident bully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Skippie was one of those guys who tormented kids like me who might show up and settle it once anc for all. :) Don't torment children becuase they might come back some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. BTW, those Arabs who claimed to be relatives of the Saudi Crown? Total BS. They were not even the right blood line. In fact they were body guards to the royal family, nothing more. The king that was eventually killed by a nephew King Faisal. No kidding , but fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The arabs at Herringswell that you think were related to the Royal Saudi family were in fact, body guards of King Faisal. Nothing more. And King Faisal was assassinated in their care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not blaming that on the Arab borders though :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What ever happened to Fahad? He was nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. but no kidding, these guys didn't even have the blood to be related to arab royalty :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. And Yes Bob Bennett was a pedophile :) email me :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. BTW Jane Budgeon gave her room to me in the Canary Islands so that was cute memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just remember Bill Cox, but I dont remember that he "got the girl" :) But apparently so :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember eating in the dineing room at herringswell with Jane Budgeon and remeber she had the biggest breasts of all :) I am totally jealous that you shared a room with her in the Canaries :)

    Dont forget that is before the two 747's crashed too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. To be honest, Herringswell represents to me what all the kids hate about the world these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What ever happened to Carol Anne Robinson? would love to hear from her some day. She was my love at the time. Big brothers and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. PS. No kidding, Bill Cox, I was the guy in the Canaries who got Jane Budgeon's room when she gave it up. There is more to this story I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. And Bob Bennett was a total pedophile. Hope that is known by now :) I told me dad and the school didnt even last past my normal graduation date (1975).

    ReplyDelete
  33. If you want to come forward and pursue that, child abuse is not subject to 'statute of limitations' :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was there '67-'68 ( one year), what ended up happening to Bob Bennett?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't know who you all are, but please don't use my blog for a discussion about pedophiles. My one year at Herringswell was fine, and my memories were ...well, mine!

    Feel free to go on Facebook, where there is a Herringswell Manor page...and you can find out what you may need to know.

    I would love to talk to you about your years at Herringswell...

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  36. I remember the Yorkshire pudding and the rice pudding - trips into Cambridge, Suffolk and Bury St. Edmunds where they had the absolute BEST bakery for fresh jelly donuts..........probably gained ten pounds that year. And I loved the ancient cemetery in Bury too. The swing in that big huge tree and how sometimes we were all around in a circle at night by the tree signing......"All we are saying.........is give peace a chance......" and Kumbayah and "Where have all the flowers gone......." I loved it there...but the following year I was off to Rome and loved that too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I went to Herringswell Manor in 1977-78. I had a room-mate there, who later ended up being my roommate at college in Idaho. It was SUCH a surprise to see her in Idaho, because we had not planned it. We didn't even know what colleges we were headed for when we left the Manor. Funny how small a world it is.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i know about bob bennet sick sick man e mail me if want to
    know i would like to share lckline@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I was a naive 14 when I attended for 1/2 year. After moving from Switzerland to here, it seemed like heaven. I too remember Kevin and Michael. Very short and super sweet kids. As for teachers being lesbians? I'm not so sure. Heck we were all rooming together and I'm not a lesbian. I roomed with Diane Ginsberg and she had a twin sister, Lisa. Yes, we did do juice cans for curlers. And my favorite thing was the hot chocolate custard on cake. I only left because I had a crush on a guy at the American School in London and pushed to go there. That school was a lot tougher. I learned a ton! Too bad that crush didn't work out. After the best year of my life, as a kid, I moved back to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just saw this! I was there too back in the late 60's/early 70's. I'm Jane Budgen or was. And I was very involved in the sit-in. This is amazing. And I remember Billy Cox. And the Canaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      I found you and lost you on Facebook with your different name.
      Looks like you're happy. Cindy

      Delete
  41. The "Tuck Shop" and first time ever Salt and Vinegar chips.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I attended HMS in 1978-9. I also had a few bad experiences in dealing with Mr. Bob Bennett. I want to respect the request made by Jeanne about the discussions on her blog so please email me at Dallasrmc83@gmail.com for more information concerning my observations on that strange man.

    The breakfast meal at the school was excellent with scrambled eggs, toast and tea. I like the Yorkshire Pudding and the Shepard''s Pie meals; I also remembered the hot chocolate custard on cake dessert. The hamburgers were always a disapointing and we joked that they really horsemeat. I enjoyed learning to dress formally in a tie and jacket and using cologne to smell good, There were many Iranian students who wealthy and dressed in the finest clothing money could buy. The school had dances in the boys dorm on Friday nights in which the great disco hits of the 1970s were played. My parents lived in Algeria so my brother and I had to stay at school on week-ends. I remember that some students would give the London-bound students money to go to McDonald's for them; when the students returned on Sunday night the food would cold due to the three-hour trip from London.
    Dallas McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was at Herringswell for one semester in spring 1971. My twin sister and I were the youngest students in residence I think -- would have been in seventh grade back in the states, 12 years old! I remember many of the names mentioned in this thread and also the teachers, the dining hall, dorms, classes, etc. I loved taking part in Sherlock Holmes dramas in English class. I am still looking for a good Scotch Egg recipe more than 40 years later. Lonely at times but overall it was an amazing and unique experience. My brother, sister and I went home for the weekends (about 50 miles away).

    ReplyDelete
  44. Enjoyed reading these posts since I was at Herringswell also for my senior year 1970-1971. Our daddy was transferred with Dupont to Derry,Northern Ireland. Having just moved from a Virginia, I enjoyed the adventure of it all, and the opportunity to see Britain and more. Loved the weekly bus trips into Cambridge and the monthly bus trips into London.
    Yes, I also have many memories of the dining hall, the teachers, and the grounds. My first name is Belinda, and my best friend was Pam. I went back to JMU in Virginia, after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Jeanne, it's Janet. Really enjoyed your memories-- brought it all back. Remember Miss Payne sticking the needle through her cheek?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Janet....I am just now reading this (April 2016) and saw that you had posted a comment with your name!! WOW! I have wondered and wondered where you are and whatever happened to you!! I am writing about my memories at Herringswell...My mom and dad saved all the letters I wrote home to them...so I'm trying to fill in the blanks. I was doing some research when I happened upon this comment! My email is jeannearchambeault@gmail.com if you care to correspond! Wonderful to hear from you! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  47. Janet....I am just now reading this (April 2016) and saw that you had posted a comment with your name!! WOW! I have wondered and wondered where you are and whatever happened to you!! I am writing about my memories at Herringswell...My mom and dad saved all the letters I wrote home to them...so I'm trying to fill in the blanks. I was doing some research when I happened upon this comment! My email is jeannearchambeault@gmail.com if you care to correspond! Wonderful to hear from you! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  48. In the mist of time all this appears when cleaning the basement recently and I found a sort of year book called Manorama. Wow High School one of about 6. The fog cleared somewhat, did the 60s exist? Watching the TV it must have. Wondering about the Errede brothers, Dan Worsham whos bass I bought and had till the neck warped beyond repair 5 years ago, some roommates; Neil Robertson, Bill Waddington, Skip McCracken. The book doesn't have any dates so the fog persists but at this age the book sure helps.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I wish that you all would release at least the years that you were there so that my memories of it could have at least something by which to adhere. I remember some of the names listed here, but not all of them by any means. My name is Ed Davidson and I was there for 2 yrs as a member of the class of'69. Most of my memories are good ones, but that's probably because I don't want to burden myself with bad ones. My main interest here is in finding someone who remembers waking up at 5AM to hike down to some truckers' café because breakfast there was horrible. Or who remembers the Mystic Maniac or the Herringswell Tribune. It's hard to remember that this was 50 yrs. ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed...I was in Herringswell 68-69 as a Junior I would think we knew each other and I agree 50 years is a long time.

      Delete
    2. I do have a foggy memory of going to the truck stop and eating a terrible breakfast while it was still dark out. Never did it again because it was so terrible. Who I was with is currently lost in the fog of time.

      Delete
  50. We lived in the renovated stables, above the English /history classroom.we were about 9 boys. 76-77 I believe. I roomed with kyle Andy Steve Asad. I recall an oversized Iranian with an attitude who slept opposite.
    Bennett was the science master of dictation . And for sports. Walks to the local town Tilden and rhubarb crumble. Plenty of cows along the way.
    Discos on Saturday that always ended with Stairway to heaven.
    Plenty of pheasants and rabbit holes. Mixed opinions but generally thumbs up. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jeanne...I just found your blog. I was a student...inmate?...at Herringswell for a year in 1968/69 and would like to have a conversation with you. Please contact me if you still do this sort of stuff.
    Jim Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  52. It must have been a dream that made me wake up yesterday and push me to research Herringswell Manor School to find out what happened to Bob Bennett. I was at Herringswell in 1968 and 1972 in their summer program to learn English quickly as we were moving from Switzerland to Germany where English was the first foreign language in school rather than French in Switzerland. In 68 I was 12 years old from a really protective family and I was home sick many times there but overall it was a wonderful experience in Bury St Edmunds. I loved the landscapes and especially the numerous rabbits running wild while walking from the dorms to the main house for breakfast and classes. Breakfast was great and I loved the, for me, unusual beans in tomato sauce with scrambled eggs and the puddings, but not the endlessly boring green peas with every meal, the only vegetable they knew in England at that time, it seems. I loved the large dining room and on Saturdays they had disco in the basement somewhere. It was very international. I adored a French girl, Francoise L and danced with her often and always when they played A Man and a Woman by Percy Sledge. I still love that song. We corresponded for a couple of years. But I also met a great friend, Alain E. with whom I would love to get in touch again. We even visited one another as we grew up but lost contact. I think he is in London. Is it age that makes me want to reconnect? I also remember 3 or 4 Germans from Bielefeld who I was impressed with, only for the reason that they were 17 and had a lot of liberties. They lived seperately on the grounds above a garage or stables but as a 12 year old they were way out of my league. I think, one was even older as he had a car. Despite the homesickness I loved it there so much so that I returned in 1972 as a 16 year old, perhaps because I wanted to enjoy the liberties those Germans enjoyed a few year back. When I arrived I only found 2 Spaniards there, Santiago and Jesus and Bob Bennett. It was very strange as in 1968 there were lots and lots of students there. Bennett was also the only teacher around. Quite at the beginning of my stay, the Spaniards were playing ping pong or pool and Bennett chased me into an adjacent room next to where the Spaniards were occupied with their game and he pinned me down on the floor and lay on top of me and there was no question about his intentions as his hands were all over me but I managed to turn onto my stomach to control a little better where his hands were going. I succeded at him not turning me again which today surprises me as he was a judo instructor, but of course he must have been aware of the Spaniards not too far away. Although nothing more invasive happended, it scared me to death and I can still feel him lying on top of me with his hands going where I did not want to have them. He never tried it again but I cannot recall how I spent 5 weeks with only two other students there with Bennett. I even have a picture of his Mini Cooper when he drove us to Cambridge. I never spent the weekends there to be with friends or with friends of the family. I never talked to anybody about this but I never forgot this experience. Until I found this blog, I thought I was the only one he did this with and am shocked to read that his profession was probably a perfect play ground for his very disturbing desires. Does anybody know what happened to him?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Im Pete Roberts I was there in 69 70. I rember walking down to the Red Lodge cafe in the early hours I would love to talk to any one there from 68 69 70

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow… I attended Herringswell for about 9 months in 1969 to 1970? Bringing back many memories, some good. My dorm room was on the third floor facing the dining area. I remember playing Hockey, loved it! The older girls were privileged to have the larger rooms, actually beautiful, facing the hockey field and stables. The main area had a magnificent staircase where the senior girls’ rooms were. Us younger ones had to be invited to visit and I remember being so darn homesick. I was not able to travel home every weekend, so the trips to Bury St. Edmunds and Cambridge were so much fun! While there, we would buy ‘Shandy’ and sneak it up to our room. We had a ghost named Alfred who supposedly haunted the attic where the TV was. Apparently Alfred did not like the attic, as he seemed to love the third floor dorm area. Ceiling lights were constantly turning on and off in the middle of the night in which we were blamed. Liver and onions served on Thursday… Yuck. And on the last note… For some reason, we had to memorize 600 stanzas of the ‘Light Brigade’ in English class! Latin class was unnecessary too. Anyway… Living in England was an experience. Grew up fast in a little bit of a strange environment. Excellent life lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  55. What happened to Joe Dostal?

    ReplyDelete